Can Anyone Buy Number Plates As A Gift for Dear ones?
It is a very common question to us asking about gifting a 3D or 4D number plate to dear ones on events such as birthdays, Christmas etc.
And the answer is, yes!
Present Law in the UK would require a registered number plate supplier to get one form of identification/address proof, and a document of entitlement to the registration before they make any number plates. However, these two documents don’t need to be owned by the same person or match in any manner (Name, Address etc.), as the law permits buying number plates as a gift.
It clearly means that if you want to, for example; buy a set of 3D gel number plates or 4D get number plates for someone dear to your heart, you will have to provide your own ID/Address Proof along with the document of registration entitlement in the name of the recipient. You can also provide your own driving license or utility bill for id proof or address proof, but a V5C logbook or V750 certificate of entitlement of the recipient will be needed to order number plates as a gift.
This might be tricky for you to get proof of entitlement to the registration by not letting the person know about the gift, but what can we do? It’s a legal requirement and something we can’t work without.
Below is the list of documents that you can provide, some might be easy to get than others, be sure to check out the full list of documents below we’d need from you before you order:
To legally sell number plates as a gift, you must provide two types of documents.
- Registration Entitlement
Acceptable documents for Identification (Name & Address):
- Utility bill, Telephone bill, Council Tax bill or rates bill from the last 6 months
- Bank or building society statement from the last 6 months
- Driving License (Photo-card or paper counterpart)
- National Identity Card
Below documents will confirm only Name:
- Passport (doesn’t have to be issued in the UK)
- Bank or building society debit or credit card
- Police warrant card
- Armed forces identity card
The ID document you provided does not need to match the entitlement document; this is because the laws permit buying number plates as a gift.
Acceptable documents for Registration Entitlement:
- Vehicle registration certificate (V5C or V5CNI).
- New keepers supplement (V5C/2 or V5C/2NI).
- Certificate of entitlement (V750 or V750NI) to the number.
- Retention document (V778).
- A renewal reminder for vehicle tax or SORN (V11 or V11NI).
- Temporary registration certificate (V379 or V379NI).
- A number plate authorization certificate (V948) with an official stamp from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) or Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA).
- An electronic number plate authorization certificate (eV948).
- A letter of authorization from a fleet operator (including lease or hire company) quoting the document reference number from the registration certificate.
- If your fleet is in the new V5C on-demand scheme (also called ‘V5C suppression’), a PDF of the vehicle’s details from the view vehicle record service.
So are you ready to order number plates to gift your dear one? Visit the Easy Number Plates Store to check out the collection.