Alternative Process to Replace A Lost/Stolen v750 & v778 in the UK

Alternative Process to Replace A Lost/Stolen v750 & v778 in the UK

It is a very common concern people have that how to replace a lost/stolen v750 & v778. How to renew the certificates and how to transfer the ownership of personalised numbers? With this blog, Easy Number Plates aims to target the most common queries of private number plate owners. Are you the owner of a private number plate too? If yes, this article is worth your attention.

Alternative Process to Replace A Lost/Stolen v750 & v778

Let’s start with understanding what is v750 & v778. Then only you’ll understand what to do next if you have lost it or someone has stolen it.

What is V750: Certificate of Entitlement?

The Certificate of Entitlement, or more commonly known as V750, is a form issued by DVLA for new and previously unassigned vehicle registration marks. The V750 registration marks are generated when consumers make a purchase from DVLA’s auction site.

What is 778: certificate of entitlement?

The V778 Retention Document is a green A4 size piece of paper. It is used by the DVLA when a personalised registration has been separated from a vehicle and placed on retention. V778 is a document that allows you to keep your registered number plate after you sell your car or it has been stolen. Here is the process of how to retain your private number plate after selling your car?

Covering the Three Scenarios

  • Lost or stolen V750 and V778
  • Transfer of Personal Number V778
  • Renewing V750 and V778

Process to Replace a Lost or Stolen V750 or V778

Wondering how to get a replacement of a lost retention certificate (V778) or entitlement certificate (V750)?

There is a specific process to replace a lost or stolen V750 certificate of entitlement or a lost retention document V778.

Apply by Post 

You would need to send a letter to DVLA Personalised Registrations to request a replacement.

Apply Online

Apply for a replacement of V750 or V778 via the DVLA personalised registration account that you used to buy the personalised number.

Ways to Transfer Private Number to Someone Else

If you want to transfer private number plate to someone else then there are two ways to follow:

  • Transfer by post – Complete section 2 of the V778 or V750 and mail it to DVLA. Remember to send the V5C logbook of the vehicle that will have the private number registered on it.

The relevant postal address is on the form. DVLA will send a replacement log book for the vehicle with the new personal number assigned to it.

  • Transfer online – Enter the details from that vehicle V5C logbook into the system, The V5C or ‘log book’ is a paper document issued by the DVLA to the registered keeper of a vehicle.

It contains all the specific details about the car and is used to inform the DVLA of any changes, including when a vehicle is sold to a new owner or a change of name and address.

Note: The DVLA will send a replacement log book for the vehicle with the new personal number assigned to it.

How to Renew V750 or V778?

You can apply to renew your V750 or V778 as long as 28 days before it terminates. Try not to apply sooner than this or your application might be declined.

You’ll get an update letter or email on the off chance that you’re not utilizing a private number and your entitlement to utilize it is going to run out. You can re-establish it for as long as 10 years, and it costs nothing to do.

  • Renew your V750 online:

You can renew your V750 by using the DVLA personalised registration account, you used for buying your private (personalised) number.

  • Renew by post:

  1. Fill in the form on the V750 or V778.
  2. Send the V750 or V778 request form to the address on the form.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Who Is A Grantee?

The ‘grantee’ is the person who has the right to use a registration number. So, the name of the grantee will be on the V778 form or V750 form.

Only the grantee can send a letter and request a replacement for lost or stolen documents. Allow up to four (4) weeks to receive the replacement of a retention certificate V750 or V778.

When Should You Apply for Replacement of Stolen/Lost V750/V778?

You can apply for a replacement V750 or V778 if:

  • It has not expired
  • You’re the person with the right to use the number (your name will have been on the V778 or V750 as the ‘grantee’)

Note: It’ll take around 3 to 4 weeks for the new V750 or V778 to arrive.

How to Apply by Post to Replace a Lost or Stolen V750 or V778?

You can send a letter to DVLA Personalised Registrations to ask for a replacement V750 or V778.

Here is the Address: DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS

If your address or name has changed, you’ll need to include an extra document with your letter.

If your address has changed, include proof of your identity. This can be a copy of:

  • A household bill sent to you in the last 3 months
  • Your Council Tax bill for this year
  • A bank or building society statement sent to you in the last 3 months
  • A medical card
  • Your current British driving licence
  • Your passport
  • Your birth certificate

If your name has changed, include proof of your name change. This can be a copy of:

  • Your marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • Your divorce or end of civil partnership document (decree nisi, decree absolute, conditional order or final order)
  • A deed poll to show you’ve changed your name legally

Reference of the guide:

Conclusion: This above mentioned process will surely help you to get your retention document or certificate of entitlement replaced.  Meanwhile explore the selection of 4D Number plates, 3D Number Plates and replacement plates and order for your vehicle.